Social Security Benefits Might Increase by Up to $800 Per Month for Thousands of People – Here’s How to Apply.

It is possible for many seniors to collect retirement benefits based on the earnings record of their spouse, provided their earnings are higher than yours.

This means that as long as you apply, you will be eligible to receive your spouse’s benefits in addition to your own.

You must be at least 62 years old and have a kid under the age of 16 in your care, or a child in your care who is receiving Social Security disability payments, in order to be eligible for spousal benefits.

Several factors influence the number of spousal benefit checks, including the worker’s lifetime earnings and the length of time they have worked together.

According to the Social Security Administration, “the spousal benefit can be as much as half of the worker’s ‘primary insurance amount,’ depending on the spouse’s age at retirement.”

The timing of your claim for benefits can also influence whether or not you are eligible to receive the maximum amount available. It’s important to remember is that you will not be allowed to claim spousal benefits until your partner begins to receive Social Security retirement benefits of their own.

To find out how early retirement will affect your spousal benefit, go to the Social Security Administration’s website and enter your date of birth and the month you wish to begin receiving benefits. The SSA will calculate the effect as a percentage of the worker’s primary insurance amount, which you can use to calculate your benefit.

If you qualify for a retirement benefit based on your own earnings that are greater than the spousal benefit, the Social Security Administration (SSA) will give you the retirement benefit rather than the spousal benefit if you are married.

Because spousal benefits do not have the ability to grow, there is no financial incentive to delay a spousal benefit past full retirement age.

It is therefore recommended that you enroll in Social Security benefits if you are approaching full retirement age at 67 and your spouse is already collecting benefits at that time.


You can submit an application for spousal benefits through the Social Security Administration’s website, by phone, or by visiting your local Social Security office.

A form of identification, W-2 forms, a formal divorce decree if applying as a divorced spouse and a marriage certificate will all be required, as well as any other supporting documentation.


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here