It’s the perfect finishing touch to your 4th of July projects to include quotes that perfectly express your thoughts and feelings about this American tradition. Don’t worry if you can’t come up with the right Fourth of July greetings for your cards and invitations, party decor, or even Instagram captions.
More than 35 quotes and sayings about the 4th of July are here for you to choose from, no matter how you want to express your patriotism or just have a good time. Aside from photo books and yard decors like garden flags and yard signs, you can also use these quotes on custom vinyl banners that you can display both inside and outside your home.
Freedom, bravery, and patriotism are all hallmarks of the 4th of July holiday, as are the barbecues, pool parties, and other get-togethers with loved ones that accompany it.
Fortunately, our forefathers and other witty wordsmiths have done a lot of the work for us by creating meaningful and immediately relatable 4th of July quotes. While a picture is worth a thousand words, it’s the best quote that will make your 4th of July one to remember.
Happy 4th Of July Quotes
Of course, the 4th of July is a great time to be philosophical, but why not just enjoy yourself? Quotes about the joy of this uniquely American holiday and all it represents will be well received by your loved ones.
In lighthearted and breezy 4th of July quotes, these are the best of the best. Happy sayings are the most universally pleasing of all the options you can choose from. “I believe in America because we have great dreams, and because we have the opportunity to make those dreams come true,” states the American statesman Wendell L. Wilkie.
In some ways, it’s a celebration of America’s Independence Day in its own right. Erma Bombeck, the late, great humorist, has witty material that’s appropriate for any audience. “It will be celebrated with pomp and parade, bonfires and illuminations from one end of this continent to the other,” said one of the Founding Fathers, John Adams.
- “You have to love a nation that celebrates its independence every July 4th, not with a parade of guns, tanks, and soldiers who file by the White House in a show of strength and muscle, but with family picnics where kids throw Frisbees, the potato salad gets iffy, and the flies die from happiness. You may think you have overeaten, but it is patriotism.” – Erma Bombeck
- “Independence Day: freedom has its life in the hearts, the actions, the spirit of men and so it must be daily earned and refreshed – else like a flower cut from its life-giving roots, it will wither and die.” – Dwight D. Eisenhower
- “It will be celebrated with pomp and parade, bonfires and illuminations from one end of this continent to the other.” – John Adams
- “Then join hand in hand, brave Americans all! By uniting we stand, by dividing we fall.” – John Dickinson
- “I believe in America because we have great dreams, and because we have the opportunity to make those dreams come true.” – Wendell L. Wilkie
- “We on this continent should never forget that men first crossed the Atlantic not to find soil for their ploughs but to secure liberty for their souls. – Robert J. McCracken
- “The United States is the only country with a known birthday.” – James G. Blaine
Patriotic 4th Of July Quotes
Quotes about the 4th of July are perfect for expressing your patriotism. As an American, it is your duty to pay tribute to those who have given their lives in service to our nation’s freedom by reading patriotic quotes.
Friends having a good time on the 4th of July in California, by the beach
These patriotic quotes are sure to rekindle your love for the United States. Regardless of how long or short, these quotes are, they serve as a reminder of the original meaning of July 4th.
Take Founding Father Benjamin Franklin’s pithy quote about America: “Where liberty dwells, there is my country.” Or who can forget John F. Kennedy’s quote about American service: “Ask not what your country can do for you—ask what you can do for your country.”
Interestingly, not all 4th of July quotes were uttered by citizens of this country. Take former president of Poland Lech Walesa’s great words that apply to the U.S. as well: “We hold our heads high, despite the price we have paid, because freedom is priceless.”
- “America is a tune. It must be sung together.” – Gerald Stanley Lee
- “I like to see a man proud of the place in which he lives. I like to see a man live so that his place will be proud of him.” – Abraham Lincoln
- “Where liberty dwells, there is my country.” – Benjamin Franklin
- “My favorite thing about the United States? Lots of Americans, one America.” – Val Saintsburt
- “America means opportunity, freedom, power.” – Ralph Waldo Emerson
- “Give me liberty or give me death!” – Patrick Henry
- “Ask not what your country can do for you—ask what you can do for your country.” – John F. Kennedy
- “We hold our heads high, despite the price we have paid, because freedom is priceless.” – Lech Walesa
- “Our country is not the only thing to which we owe our allegiance. It is also owed to justice and to humanity. Patriotism consists not in waving the flag, but in striving that our country shall be righteous as well as strong.” – James Bryce
4th of July Quotes on Freedom
Freedom has a long history in the United States, both politically and emotionally. In addition to commemorating the significance of the holiday, 4th of July quotes about freedom can serve as a reminder of how far America has come.
These wise words from some of America’s greatest thinkers, leaders, and philosophers speak volumes. For a Martin Luther King, Jr. quote, you’d be hard-pressed to go wrong. Another option is a line of poetry by Robert Frost, such as the phrase “Freedom lies in being bold.” The Irish playwright George Bernard Shaw wrote, “Liberty is the breath of life to nations,” and it’s a simple and beautiful statement.
- “So let freedom ring from the prodigious hilltops of New Hampshire. Let freedom ring from the mighty mountains of New York. Let freedom ring from the heightening Alleghenies of Pennsylvania! Let freedom ring from the snow capped Rockies of Colorado! Let freedom ring from the curvaceous peaks of California! But not only that; let freedom ring from Stone Mountain of Georgia! Let freedom ring from Lookout Mountain of Tennessee! Let freedom ring from every hill and every molehill of Mississippi. From every mountainside, let freedom ring.” – Martin Luther King Jr.
- “This nation will remain the land of the free only so long as it is the home of the brave.” – Elmer Davis
- “Freedom lies in being bold.” – Robert Frost
- “As Mankind becomes more liberal, they will be more apt to allow that all those who conduct themselves as worthy members of the community are equally entitled to the protections of civil government. I hope ever to see America among the foremost nations of justice and liberality.” – George Washington
- “In the truest sense, freedom cannot be bestowed; it must be achieved.” – Franklin D. Roosevelt
- “We must be free not because we claim freedom, but because we practice it.” – William Faulkner
- “Government of the people, by the people, for the people, shall not perish from the earth.” – Abraham Lincoln
- “The advancement and diffusion of knowledge is the only guardian of true liberty.” – James Madison
- “Liberty is the breath of life to nations.” – George Bernard Shaw
Funny Quotes for the 4th Of July
Use a funny 4th of July quote this year if you’re hosting 4th of July celebrations for your friends or sending holiday cards. Your recipients will appreciate your sarcastic tone and sense of humor.
Quotes like this one are memorable and fun for anyone who reads them. Some of the funniest quotes can be found in the works of stand-up comedians and late-night TV hosts. “It’s 4th of July weekend, or, as I call it, Exploding Christmas,” are Stephen Colbert’s most memorable words.
And if your family and friends like to laugh at themselves, maybe George Carlin’s hilarious line, “When you’re born, you get a ticket to the freak show. When you’re born in America, you get a front-row seat” sums up your feelings best. If anyone doesn’t get the joke, you can always claim that old standby, “I was just kidding!”
- “The truth will set you free, but first it will piss you off.” –Gloria Steinem
- “It’s 4th of July weekend, or, as I call it, Exploding Christmas.” -Stephen Colbert
- “When you’re born, you get a ticket to the freak show. When you’re born in America, you get a front row seat.” -George Carlin
- “Liberty means responsibility. That is why most men dread it.” -George Bernard Shaw
- “America’s a family. We all yell at each other, and it all works out.” -Louis C.K.
- “My father described this tall lady who stands in the middle of the New York harbour, holding high a torch to welcome people seeking freedom in America. I instantly fell in love.” -Yakov Smirnoff
- “Let’s not forget why we celebrate 4th of July, it is the day Will Smith saved us from the aliens.” -Unknown
- “Happy 4th of July! Drink until you see stars… and stripes!” -Unknown
- “The United States is the only country with a known birthday.” –James G. Blaine
Resources Relating to 4th of July Quotes
You can celebrate your country’s history and even teach your family a little something about it with the help of patriotic quotes and messages. Even if you’re throwing a 4th of July bash with a pool and a secret family recipe, remembering the bloody struggle for American independence is just as important.
As soon as you’ve picked a quote or saying for your 4th of July celebration, it’s time to party! For more such updates do follow us only on leedaily.com