Condo Building in Miami Beach Were Ordered to Clear After a City Inspection

Residents of a condo building in Miami Beach, Florida, were told to leave Thursday after a structural inspection. The building is less than two miles from the site of last year’s deadly Surfside condo collapse.

The Port Royale building was given an evacuation order this week as part of its 50-year recertification. City officials told that the order came after a report from the building’s structural engineer showed “excessive deflection” in a concrete beam in the garage.

Photos in an inspection report given to CNN showed that the Miami Beach building had structural damage and water leaks near electrical connections.

The inspection report from 10 months ago said that structural engineers also found “several areas of concern that were designated as a priority to be repaired.” On October 27, a second check showed a half-inch bend and that a crack that was supposed to be fixed had “extended.”

Inspectors say it could take 10 days to fix the building so that it can be checked again to see if people can move back in.

“The City of Miami Beach posted an Unsafe Structure notice yesterday on 6969 Collins Avenue requiring residents to vacate immediately based upon a report from the building’s structural engineer,” city spokesperson Melissa Berthier told sources.

“The tenant relocation ordinance applies to those who rent in the building as required by municipal code.”

The order at 6969 Collins Avenue comes more than a year after 98 people died when a large part of the Champlain Towers South building in nearby Surfside fell in the middle of the night in June 2021, killing a lot of people.

Please tell us what you think in the section below. Follow us only on Lee Daily for more news like this.

Leave a Comment