Seattle Ingraham High School Shooting: One Student Dead

After a shooting at Ingraham High School on Tuesday morning, Seattle Mayor Bruce Harrell said, “The student who was tragically shot has passed away… the student is deceased.”

Harrell made the announcement at a 2 p.m. press conference where Seattle Police Chief Adrian Diaz, Seattle Public Schools Superintendent Dr. Brent Jones, and Congressmember Pramila Jayapal also spoke. “A tragedy has struck our community today,” Jones said.

“An Ingraham High School student was shot and killed this morning on campus in what was is believed to be a targeted attack,” he said. “We have no reason to believe this was part of a bigger plan other than a targeted attack.”

Chief Diaz says that the shooting happened in a hallway at the high school, about 100 feet from any door. A suspect has been caught. Diaz says that people called 911 around 9:55 a.m. and police officers were at the high school within four minutes.

Do check:

“Within four minutes we had a contact team already going into the school and trying to provide CPR to the victim. Another minute later, the Fire Department was called in as well,“ Diaz said.

“An hour later we were able to take the suspect into custody … our harbour officers actually located the suspect and took him into custody with the King County Sheriff’s Department. We actually recovered a firearm, we don’t’ know if that firearm was used in the school, but we did recover a fire arm.”

Diaz said that the arrest was made at a bus stop near 145th Street and Aurora Avenue North, which is about a mile from campus. In the suspect’s bag, police found a gun.

At the same time, students at Ingraham High School were being reunited with their families Tuesday afternoon after the whole campus went into lockdown. On Wednesday and Thursday, nothing will happen at the high school.

Diaz said that so far in 2022, more than 660 shots have been fired and even more guns have been found.

“This year we’ve recovered 1,000 firearms — 1,000 firearms,” Diaz said. “That is unheard of. Even though we’ve been short-staffed, we’ve been recovering more firearms this year than when we had full staffing. We have a gun problem.”

Chief Diaz also said that guns have been found after different kinds of crimes, such as domestic violence, road rage, drive-bys, and robberies.

Tuesday around 10 a.m. police in Seattle got a call about a shooting at Ingraham High School. The shooting happened inside the school, according to the authorities.

So far, only one victim with life-threatening injuries has been taken to Harborview Medical Center, and police say they have a suspect in custody. Police haven’t said if the victim was a student or a member of the staff, and they haven’t said much about the suspect either.

The school is on lockdown while police and school officials set up a place for families to meet at North 135th Street and Meridian Avenue North. They also say that they are making plans for how to get students who can’t be picked up at the reunification site to school.

A teacher at Lakeside Middle School, which is just a few blocks away from Ingraham, said that the school has also been put on lockdown.

Follow us only on Lee Daily for more news like this.

Leave a Comment