A proxy server is responsible for transmitting and receiving information to and from web servers on behalf of your computer. As a result, the identity of your device isn’t disclosed to the web server. And you can enjoy a secure browsing experience.
Google Chrome, like most other browsers, has its proxy setting where you can set up a proxy server. Enabling or disabling Chrome proxy settings is pretty straightforward. Let’s show you how to use Chrome proxy settings to set up proxy servers. The same setup in other browsers will also be shown here.
Why Should You Set Up a Proxy Server?
When you set up a proxy server in your browser, it lets you browse the internet anonymously. Your IP address gets masked with a proxy address so that no one can trace your device back. Plus, you can access restricted content that isn’t generally allowed in your location.
If you enable proxy manually, it can be time-consuming. Modern web browsers let you set up proxy servers so that you can automatically use those proxy addresses to privately browse the internet.
How to Set Up a Proxy Server in Chrome?
Follow the steps below to set up a proxy server in Google Chrome.
- · Click on the three dots at the top right corner of the browser. Then click on Settings from the menu.
- · On the Settings page, click on Advanced and select the System tab.
- · From the options, click on Open your computer’s proxy settings.
- · Scroll down to find the Manual proxy setup. There is a toggle switch called Use a proxy server. Turn the switch on.
- · Then, enter the proxy IP address in the Address box. And enter the proxy port in the Port box.
- · Tick the checkbox below and then hit Save.
- · Now the proxy server is set up on Chrome, and you can continue to browse anonymously. You can disable the settings following the same procedure.
How to Set Up a Proxy Server in Firefox?
Though the process is almost similar in most browsers, here is a detailed guide on how to do it on Mozilla Firefox.
- · Click on the hamburger menu or three horizontal lines at the top right corner of the browser. From the menu, click on Settings.
- · On the Settings page, keep the General tab selected and scroll down. You will see Network Settings. Click on Settings.
- · A pop-up box will appear. Use system proxy settings is checked by default. You need to check the Manual proxy configuration option.
- · You can then enter the proxy address and port in the following boxes. Firefox lets users set multiple proxy servers for different protocols.
- · After entering the addresses and ports correctly, click OK to save the settings.
How to Set Up Proxy Server in Edge?
Setting up a proxy server on Microsoft Edge is quite similar to doing it on Chrome. Still, here is a step-by-step guide for your convenience.
- · Click on the three dots at the top right corner of the browser to access the menu. Select Settings from the menu.
- · On the Settings page, find the System tab in the lower left corner. Click on Open your computer’s proxy settings on the right side.
- · It will open the default proxy settings page of Windows. Scroll down to find the Manual proxy setup.
- · Switch the toggle button called Use a proxy server. Then, enter the proxy address and port number.
- · Click Save after entering all the details. The proxy server is now set, and you can continue browsing anonymously.
How to Set Up a Proxy Server in Opera?
Follow these steps to set up a proxy server in the Opera browser.
- · Click on Menu at the top left corner of the browser. Select Settings from the menu.
- · Select the Advanced tab. System settings will appear on the right side of the screen. Click on Open your computer’s proxy settings and it will open the built-in proxy settings menu.
- · Scroll down to find the Manual proxy setup. Turn on the Use a proxy server option.
- · Then, enter the proxy address and port number in the following boxes.
- · Finally, click Save if everything is correct. Your new proxy server is now ready to use.
Setting up a proxy server on your browsers gives a few advantages. You don’t need to manually set up proxies each time to be anonymous. These servers let you browse the internet without revealing your identity. And accessing location-specific content also becomes much easier when you use proxy servers.
We showed you the simplest methods of setting up proxy servers in different browsers. Chrome proxy settings are pretty easy to enable and disable. You will find similar steps in Edge and Opera browsers. Make sure you follow these steps and enter all the details correctly. Enjoy anonymity and improve your security while browsing the internet.