The University of Southern Illinois at Carbondale will be closed on Friday, April 14.
The university said that it had to close because Ameren’s power was out on campus.
SIU says that there is a lot of damage to the substations, which is what caused the power loss.
All in-person, hybrid, and online classes will be canceled, and none will be taught electronically.
SIU said that the Department of Public Safety and the food services in the residence halls will stay open.
These News Have Been Making Headlines:
- The Oscars Venue Struggles With Unexpected Power Outage
- U.S. Domestic Flight Departures Restored After FAA System Outage
All other buildings and offices on campus will be closed, except for a small number of events that were already planned.
- New student orientation will happen at Shryock Auditorium as planned.
- The Men of Color Campus to Career Conference will still happen, but it will be held at Grinnell Hall instead of where it was originally planned.
- Sports events will go on as planned.
- Evening events at the Student Center, like the SIH Gala, will happen until the power loss is fixed.
Evening events at the Student Center, like the SIH Gala, will happen until the power loss is fixed.
The university thinks that the power loss will be fixed by Saturday and that everything will go back to normal after that.