There are many endearing tales about Ree and Ladd Drummond, but the one about how Ladd became known as “Marlboro Man” is one of our favorites. Ree threw her closest friend Hyacinth a baby shower and invited many guests over a decade ago.
As they arrived, she overheard a guest wondering, “My gosh, who is that Marlboro Man sitting on the porch?”. That man with a powerful jaw and tough appearance is the obvious suspect.
This led to the creation of the endearing alias. One of the perks of having a boyfriend or husband is coming up with cute nicknames for them. They begin with cute anecdotes like Ree’s, private jokes, or a common interest. And sometimes the words are just awkward and mushy, but darn it, they work!
Finding the appropriate words for your Hunny is like trying on a pair of cowboy boots; cute as they may be, they better fit to last. Find the most adorable and creative pet names for your man right here. Send these in humorous Valentine’s Day cards, or post them as the caption on your couple’s Instagram account to solicit responses from the general public.
- Pookie Head
- Handsome Man
- Cutie Patootie
- Sweet Pea
- My Pet
- Wonder Boy
- Squeeze (alternatively, Main Squeeze)
- Big Spoon
- Mister Man
Check out some other new content we’ve published:
Pop Culture-Inspired Nicknames
- My World: To reassure your significant other that they are your world.
- Soulmate: Any time you need to let people know that you’re a permanent pair~.
- Fave: To show them how much they mean to you.
- My Love: When you’re in the mood to be passionate.
- My Heart: To express your appreciation towards them.
- Light Of My Life: When they truly make your world a brighter place.
- Corazón: For telling your partner they have your heart in Spanish.
- Mi Amor: To show your partner they’re your love in Spanish.
- My Favorite: To remind them they’re your favorite person.
- My Person: When you two are giving off Meredith and Cristina vibes—but make it romantic.
- Honey Bunny: For when you want to channel Pulp Fiction.
- Pooh Bear: If you’re in need of a big hug—and inspiration from Legally Blonde.
- Candyman: When they’re *so* sweet to you, this Christina Aguilera-inspired nickname is the way to profess your attraction.
- Cookie Monster: For when they’re stealing all the sweets out of your snack drawer.
- McDreamy: When you’re role playing Grey’s Anatomy…or not.
- Firework: Because I don’t sleep on Katy Perry and neither should you.
- Mr. Big: For when you’re channeling your Sex and the City crush.
- Wild Thing: Like the 1998 movie, this one’s for when your partner is being a little out of pocket.
- Superman: For when they’re saving your butt for the millionth time.
- Kroll the Warrior King: When they’re in the mood to be called something ~manly~, courtesy of How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days.
- Captain Hook: If you don’t know this Megan Thee Stallion song, I encourage you to look up the lyrics yourself.