On Monday, 29th of March, it was reported that the approximately 8.2 TB of KYC data of the well-known digital wallet and payment company Mobikwik had been leaked on the dark web. About 3.5 million users are biting their nails out of worry and stress as not only their credit and debit card details are available on the dark web. But their Mobikwik account number details, names, email addresses, passwords, GPS location, and mobile phone details like IMEI have also been hacked. All of this information is on sale for 1.5 Bitcoin, which is near equals to $85,000.
Security researchers have claimed that it is the largest KYC data leak in history.
This news was first breaking by an independent cybersecurity researcher named Rajshekar Rajaharia and then by the French hacker and security researcher named Elliot Alderson. In his tweet, he said that “Probably the largest KYC data leak in history. Congrats Mobikwik…”
Probably the largest KYC data leak in history. Congrats Mobikwik… pic.twitter.com/qQFgIKloA8
— Elliot Alderson (@fs0c131y) March 29, 2021
Statement of the Mobikwik Authorities About the Data Breach
Mobikwik Data Leak: But the in-charge authorities of Mobikwik have denied the claim of the data breach of their 3.5 million users. And said they have done a thorough probing of the concerned matter and did not find any error in their security. According to them, the data of each user of Mobikwik is completely safe and secure. And some media-crazed alleged security researchers, from time to time, present the fabricated documents to waste the time of the company and people belong to the media.
These documents have no proof and are only uploaded to harm the company’s reputation for some hidden motives. The company also claims that it would take strict legal action against all these alleged assailants.
How can the users check your leaked data on the dark web?
Well, this statement has confused the users as to what to believe and what to not. We have a solution to Mobikwik’s worried and baffled users. All they can do is follow the steps mentioned below, and they will get to know that whether their data is on the dark web or not.
- In the first step, you need to download the Tor Browser. It is completely free software, allows anonymous communication by sending Internet traffic worldwide, and conceals users’ information, including the location from any network undergoing surveillance.
- In the second step, you need to download Orbot. It is also a free software proxy server and provides confidentiality on the internet to Android Operating System users.
- In the third step, connect the Orbot and again open the browser.
- In the fourth step, you need to copy and paste the link mentioned in the tor browser:
- In the last step, write down your number, and your data will be on your screen.
Hopefully, these steps will help you in knowing the truth behind all this mess.
How to Protect Yourself from Data Loss in the Future?
Block your cards and set the usage limit of your card to zero for the next few days. Else you can apply for a new card to avoid automatic transactions.
If your matched email id is also in your bank account, then update the email id in the bank account to protect it from hacking.